Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 05:21:47 EST

Hi!

> > > Agreed.
> > >
> > > It would be nice to use open/close/read/write for control and bulk and
> > > sockets for interrupt and isochronous.
> >
> > What makes interrupt so different? Last time I checked int pipes were very
> > similar to bulk pipes... Do you care about "packet boundaries"? You can
> > somehow emulate with read, too...
>
> We probably could. It would have interesting semantics however. We would
> have to have an ioctl or something else to specify period, and if it's
> one shot, etc.

ioctl for specifying period seems okay to me, and I believe UDP
sockets already have very similar semantics for read/write.

> We could probably shoehorn isochronous semantics onto read/write as
> well, but I don't want to begin to think how ugly that'll be.

What's the problem?

> A completely ioctl solution would work better in that case since it's
> cleaner. The only problem would be the fact it's called ioctl.

I do not think it is cleaner. Could AF_USB be used to get "clean"
solution?
                                                                Pavel

--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)!		Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+