Re: APIC errors on 2.4.4

From: Hermann Himmelbauer (dusty@violin.dyndns.org)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 09:28:19 EST

Andy Arvai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having IO-APIC errors with 2.4.4. I spent some time searching the
> web to understand more about this problem and I'm still not sure if
> it is a hardware problem on the motherboard or a problem with the
> kernel. I will try the noapic boot option, but are there any
> patches that might fix this? Here are some of the errors I was
> getting:
>
> May 15 22:47:43 rad kernel: APIC error on CPU0: 02(01)
> May 15 22:48:00 rad kernel: APIC error on CPU0: 01(02)

This is a hardware error. I also have a buggy motherboard (586DX) and
experience the same problems. Looke at /proc/interrupts, there you can
see how many errors are detected. The problem is that double errors are
not detected - these can lead to system crashes or block network/isdn
cards.

If there are only a few APIC errors, it is very unlikely that a double
error occurs, if there are very many, the probability is high.

It seems that there are quite a lot of motherboards that have a buggy
APIC.

There is some patch by Alan Cox in the 2.4.4-ac series that does
something about this problem but I do not know what exactly.

The only thing you can do is boot with the "noapic" option, and disable
IO-Interrupts on the second CPU (I assume you have a SMP system?). This
will reduce the amount of errors but there is also a performance
decrease.

                Regards,
                Hermann

--
 ,_,
(O,O)     "There is more to life than increasing its speed."