Re: Xircom RealPort versus 3COM 3C3FEM656C

From: arjan@fenrus.demon.nl
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 16:34:08 EST

In article <200105222118.f4MLISL01588@moisil.badula.org> you wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2001 20:10:41 +0100 (BST), Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

>> Before you give up on the xircom thing, try the -ac kernel and set the box
>> up to use xircom_cb not xircom_tulip_cb
>>
>> That might help a lot

> It doesn't, it still performs poorly with any of the three available
> drivers -- xircom_cb, xircom_tulip_cb, and tulip_cb (from the pcmcia package):

> * Rx gets only about 1.8Mbit/s on a 100Base-TX network with any of the three
> * Tx gets 80+Mb/s with xircom_tulip_cb and tulip_cb, and less than 30Mb/s
> with xircom_cb.

This sounds like a bug I have heard before: some switches don't work with
the xircom card (well, our drivers for it) when doing full duplex.
Could you try the latest driver from

http://people.redhat.com/arjanv

which forces the card to half-duplex?
I manage to get 8Mbyte/sec with it without any problems.

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven