Re: [Patch] Output of L1,L2 and L3 cache sizes to /proc/cpuinfo

From: Martin Knoblauch (martin.knoblauch@teraport.de)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 18:57:47 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:

> "Martin.Knoblauch" wrote:
> >
> > After some checking, I could have made the answer a bit less terse:
> >
> > - it would require that the kernel is compiled with cpuid [module]
> > support
> > - not everybody may want enable this, just for getting one or two
> > harmless numbers.
>
> If so, then that's their problem. We're not here to solve the problem of
> stupid system administrators.

 They may not be stupid, just mislead :-( When Intel created the "cpuid"
Feature some way along the P3 line, they gave a stupid reason for it and
created a big public uproar. As silly as I think that was (on both
sides), the term "cpuid" is tainted. Some people just fear it like hell.
Anyway.

> > - you would need a utility with root permission to analyze the cpuid
> > info. The
> > cahce info does not seem to be there in clear ascii.
>
> Bullsh*t. /dev/cpu/%d/cpuid is supposed to be mode 444 (world readable.)

 Thanks you :-) In any case, on my system (Suse 7.1) the files are mode
400.

Martin