Re: Swap strangeness using 2.4.5pre2aa1

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 14:09:23 EST

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 03:16:48AM +0900, G. Hugh Song wrote:
> The following is the output from "free"
> total used free shared buffers
> cached
> Mem: 1023128 1015640 7488 0 544
> 948976
> -/+ buffers/cache: 66120 957008
> Swap: 1021936 1021936 0

I get the same with egcs. To me it sounds broken VM (I shouldn't have
changed anything that can confuse the VM so this should be reproducible
with 2.4.5pre5 vanilla and infact you also said you reproduced
previously in 2.4.4).

Is it possible you booted with 'mem=something'? It seems to me that when
I boot with 'mem=something' the VM bad beahaviour become more visible.

> I think I should back down to Kernel 2.2.20pre2aa1.

definitely a good idea until somebody fixes the VM in mainline.

Andrea