Re: Big-ish SCSI disks

From: Rico Tudor (rico-linux-kernel@patrec.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 05:01:39 EST

I'm running stock 2.4.4 on five PCs with these features: ServerWorks
III HE, 2x 933MHz, 4GB RAM, dual-channel sym53c896 (FAST-40 WIDE) SCSI
controller. One PC has the new 181GB Seagate SCSI drive; another uses a
3ware RAID controller with 4x 40GB IDE (looks like a 160GB SCSI drive).
All is fine with slackware-current.

You might play with "nosmp" and "noapic" kernel params. When building a
kernel, disable everything including SCSI: work your way up from IDE or
floppy root. SMP failed on our systems until I dumped the slocket-based
CPUs for Slot 1. (Still a mystery, that.)