Re: Linux-2.4.5

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 20:59:36 EST

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 09:39:36PM -0400, Ben LaHaise wrote:
> Sorry, this doesn't fix the problem. It still hangs on highmem machines.
> Try running cerberus on a PAE kernel sometime.

There can be more bugs of course, two patches I posted are only meant to
fix deadlocks in the allocation fail path of alloc_bounces() and the
second patch in getblk() allocation fail path, nothing more. Those are
strictly necessary fixes as far I can tell, and their implementation was
quite obviously right to my eyes.

Now if you send some debugging info with deadlocks you gets with 2.4.5
vanilla I will be certainly interested to found their source. Also Rik
just said to have a fix for other bugs in that area, I didn't checked
that part.

What I can say is that with my tree I didn't reproduced deadlocks
highmem related with cerberus but I'm using highmem emulation not real
highmem.

Andrea