Creative 4-speed CDROM driver

From: james@spunkysoftware.com
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 23:22:55 EST

Hello Kernel Hackers,

Bloody Minix doesn't have a CDROM driver for my CDROM, a Creative Quad
speed. I'm dual booting between Linux and Minix. Linux uses my CDROM no
problems. I am thinking a "generic" CDROM driver might fit the bill for this
CDROM (the system is an old 486DX2/66, 20MB RAM, 500MB HDD + 300MB HDD, 1MB
Diamond Stealth Pro Video card).

Either I can port the Linux CDROM driver to Minix or I have to write my own
device driver. Can anyone help, point me to a place where hackers get the
stuff they need to write device drivers? They obviously know all the
details, like status codes, I/O regions etc. I am not sure if I would use
DMA, but I suppose it doesn't matter all that much.

If anyone on the kernel list has written a driver for a CDROM please send me
mail about how you went about it, did you approach the manufacturer for the
documentation on the device, if I made a mistake could I ruin my hardware?
and stuff like that.

Thanks heaps.
James Buchanan
james@spunkysoftware.com