Re: console colors messed up with 2.4.X Rivafb driver

From: Bakonyi Ferenc (fero@drama.obuda.kando.hu)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 10:03:54 EST

        Hi!

Steven A. DuChene wrote:
> I have a Riva128 based video card in a older SMP P-Pro system and with all
> of the lastest 2.4 series of kernels (mostly the ac stuff) I have screwy colors
> on the console (the penguin boot logos are shades of blue) and initially when
> I start X (XFree86 4.0.3) the colors are very dark until I switch to a console
> and back again. Once I switch to a console and back to X things are fine in
Pressing 'ctrl alt +' and 'ctrl alt -' is enough. On Riva 128 cards
rivafb uses 8 bit color registers but XFree86 4.0.x still uses 6 bit
color registers.

> The fbset output on this system says:
>
> mode "1280x1024-74"
> # D: 135.007 MHz, H: 78.859 kHz, V: 74.116 Hz
> geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 16
> timings 7407 256 32 34 3 144 3
> accel true
> rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This line indicates you are using rivafb in 16 bpp mode. Unfortunetly
16 bpp is not supported by Riva 128 hw. It's a bug, in a perfect
world rivafb should disable 16 bpp mode on Riva 128. In this case
hardware is set to 15 bpp, but rivafb thinks it's set to 16 bpp. (Or
something similar.)

Fastest solution: try using 15 bpp or 32 bpp.

> endmode
>
> The same thing still occurs if I set the color depth to 8 bit.
If you boot with 8 bpp and you do not use X, console and logo colors
should be fine. Please detail this problem!

> This is a pci card with 4Mb of video memory. I also have a AMD K6 system with a 16Mb
> AGP TNT2 card and this does not happen on that machine.
>
> BTW, why is the mtrr for the Riva set to 0M ???
Because you said yes to 'Processor type and features ---> MTRR
(Memory Type Range Register) support'.

Regards:
        Ferenc Bakonyi