Re: 2.4 freezes on VIA KT133 -- mine FIXED

From: Robert Redelmeier (redelm@ev1.net)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 19:35:51 EST

Mark Hahn wrote:

> > > contrary to the implication here, I don't believe there is any *general*
> > > problem with Linux/VIA/AMD stability. there are well-known issues
> > VIA hardware is not suitable for anything until we _know_ the
> > truth about what is wrong. VIA is hiding something big.
<snip>
> afaik, there are absolutely zero problems reported with kt133-no-a
> machines, for instance. mine has certainly worked flawlessly for a
> long time, on most every 2.3/2.4 kernel over the past year+.

FWIW, I'm shaking down a 8.5*100 T'bird VIA VT8363 (no "A")
Northbridge & VT82C686A (Southbridge). KT133 no A. No HPT366.

I had terrible read errors on a single UDMA66 HD: one in 5 md5sums
on an unmounted 1.5 GB partition was different. WD Diags said
drives were good (sectors verified OK). Swapped PS, RAM, HDs,
cables, PCI cards, 2.2/2.4/FreeBSD kernels, nothing helped ...

... until I slowed the SDRAM down from the PC133 (it really _is_
and passes memtest-86 and my burnMMX) down to PC100. At least
UDMA is still working, even if my RAM is decidedly slower. YMMV

I've now tested 9 hrs copying a 500 MB file back and forth on the
same drive without error. 21 hrs copying back and forth and
md5sum'ing from /dev/hdc3 [UDMA66] is OK too.

-- Robert author `cpuburn` http://users.ev1.net/~redelm