Re: [kbuild-devel] Re: Remaining undocumented Configure.help symbols

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 18:10:55 EST

Jim Freeman <jfree@sovereign.org>:
> The verbiage in these entries seems 'make config' / text-interaction
> -centric. Granted, that's likely the context most kernel builders will
> use, but it would seem fair to at least consider a broader audience
> who may be using more gui-ish tools wrapped around extant content.

This is a general problem with almost all the existing entries, and
will have to await a future editing pass for solution. For now I think
it's more important to have consistent cues that users can recognize,
even if they're not literally appropriate.

It is the assumption of this book that a work of art is a gift, not a commodity. Or, to state the modern case with more precision, that works of art exist simultaneously in two "economies," a market economy and a gift economy. Only one of these is essential, however: a work of art can survive without the market, but where there is no gift there is no art. -- Lewis Hyde, The Gift: Imagination and the Erotic Life of Property - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/