Re: 2.4.5 VM

From: Ken Brownfield (brownfld@irridia.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 12:53:03 EST

I'd be forced to agree. I have 2.4.x in limited production, and with
the exception of the HP/APIC fatal issues that have a "noapic"
work-around, I have had no problem at all with any of the 2.4.x kernels
I've used.

Open software by definition will never reach the kind of monolithic
stability that years of code freeze requires. Linux (especially 2.4.x)
offers too much in return, and I can always run a 2.2.x kernel. I would
say that the stability of the kernel has been *above* my expectations,
frankly, considering all that's changed.

It's definitely our responsibility as admins to test these kernels. I
was running 2.4.0-test1 the second it was released, and the one problem
I've found has been reported and investigated (it's apparently a tough
one).

As far as VM, I've never had the severe issues that some are reporting.
This doesn't mean it's not a problem, but it definitely indicates that
it's not a global showstopper. For VM-intense applications, I roll out
a 2.2.19 kernel as a preventative measure while I wait for the VM code
to be tweaked. I guess I would have expected these complaints during
the -test phase. Not to mention that the distributions seem to have
rolled out 2.4.x just fine.

To wit:

box1 1 ~> uptime
  10:27am up 168 days, 2:43, 3 users, load average: 2.45, 2.30, 2.32
box1 2 ~> uname -a
Linux box1.mynetwork.tld 2.4.0-test6 #1 SMP Sat Aug 19 04:26:58 PDT 2000
i686 unknown

Not true production, but totally representative of my experiences FWIW.
IMHO, YMMV, etc.

--
Ken.