[patch][CFT] Re: via-rhine DFE-530TX rev A1

From: Urban Widmark (urban@teststation.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 04:21:59 EST

> >Are you sure. What's the version of your driver. Please tell me. It's
> >important.
> >I remember we have fixed it already.
>
> The driver version (dlkfet.sys) is 2.52 from 08/06/2000. this is the lastest
> driver from the original dlink site.

Perhaps Yiping Chen was talking about a D-Link linux driver?
David Vrabel has found a D-Link driver ("1.11") based on Donald Beckers
that fixes the "00:00:00:00:00 after rebooting from win98" problem.

Here is a patch vs 2.4.5-ac4 that may fix this (if I didn't break it).

http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/via-rhine-2.4.5-ac4-dlink-3.patch

Please test and let me know if it works. It should apply vs any 2.4.5*
kernel. I have added those that I know have reported this problem before
to the Cc list.

What the driver does differently at init time is disable wake-on-lan and
power-management-events and then reload the MAC Address from EEPROM.

The reload code is also in the latest test version (1.10) from Donald
Becker at www.scyld.com, and that is the code I have used with slight
modification. I don't know if reloading from EEPROM alone is enough to fix
the 00:00:00:00:00 bug.

There is also a minor thing with 0x01 being a reserved bit in TxConfig,
that should probably be 0x02 to set it to loopback.

The D-Link driver has some other changes for various things. I have been
unable to find the driver on dlinks site, but I have the copy David sent
me:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/via-rhineb1.zip

/Urban