Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac7

From: Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 10:03:27 EST

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 12:27:11PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > How about ISA USB host controllers?
> >
> > Those, unfortunately, do not exist. I was shopping for one
> > in vain for a long time. One formiddable difficulty is that
> > USB bandwidth is larger than ISA, so the only feasible way
> > to make a HC is to have all TD's in its onboard memory,
> > as in VGA.
>
> USB is 1.2MB/sec while 8-bit ISA is 4MB/sec (memory-mapped).
>
> ...and OHCI does use board memory, anyway.

And strangely enough a couple of vendors offer USB-to-ISA bridges:
passive ISA backplanes that you can connect to your system using
USB. Just search for "USB ISA" with google.com ...

Dominik

--
          A lovely thing to see:                   Kobayashi Issa
     through the paper window's holes               (1763-1828)