Re: [patch] softirq-2.4.6-B4

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 20:53:44 EST

Ingo, what the heck are you up to?

entry.S:

+ xorl %ecx,%ecx; \
        testl SYMBOL_NAME(irq_stat)+4(,%eax),%ecx

That will always test as false. "testl" is an "and", not a "cmp". And a
binary "and" with zero always results in zero.

I would suggest:
 - remove the "cli". It only slow things down. If an interrupt comes in
   and causes a softirq, that interrupt routine will also run the softirq.

   (The "cli" may help the need_resched thing, but I doubt it matters, and
   if that's what you're trying to do then you should move it there,
   instead of having it at the softirq place).

 - fix the "testl"

 - send me a patch (relative to your B4 - I've applied it, but I want this
   fixed before I do a "pre2".

Thanks,

                Linus