Re: what's up with IRQ routing in 2.4.x ?

From: Aaron Krowne (akrowne@vt.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 01:51:31 EST

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:57:40 -0400, Jeff Garzik said:

> Aaron Krowne wrote:
> > I have an AMD KT133A system. I have two friends with PIII-based laptops (one
> > toshiba, one thinkpad.) We have all noticed the exact same strange behavior
> > despite our various hardware. We're all running linux 2.4.4 or 2.4.5. The
> > strange thing is that, whenever it has the opportunity to set an IRQ, linux
> > puts the device in question on the same IRQ which seems fixed for the system.
> > But it gets stranger. This IRQ is always IRQ 11. On all 3 systems. On my
> > system, I can specify "assign IRQ for USB". When I do this, USB gets its own
> > IRQ and works (sorta). When I do not, USB goes on IRQ 11 too! And, in this
> > case, lots of devices on USB refuse their addresses and such, which does not
> > happen when USB has its own IRQ.
>
> I'm curious if the attached patch helps anything.
>
> Also, note that I fixed some Via-mobo-related issues in the following
> patch:
> ftp://ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/patches/2.4.6/via-fixup-2.4.6.1.patch.gz

Ok, I applied both patches and rebooted. Some error messages slightly changed
regarding the USB, some devices were stubborn about accepting addresses
(scanner and mouse still worked, digital cam didn't (as before)). Network and
sound card both went to IRQ 11 again. Still PIRQ routing errors.

Attached is dmesg.

Aaron Krowne