Re: temperature standard - global config option?

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 13:56:46 EST

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 08:43:06PM +0200, J . A . Magallon wrote:

> On 06.08 Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > Actually, the REAL point I was TRYING to make (and doing a really
> > shabby job of it) is that some of this needs a little dose of reality.
> > We don't have sensors that are accurate to 1/10 of a K and certainly not
> > to 1/100 of a K. Knowing the CPU temperature "precise" to .01 K when
> > the accuracy of the best sensor we are likely to see is no better than
> > +- 1 K is just about as relevant as negative absolute temperatures.

> Lets see, somebody can develop lab equipment (dont think on PTRs or
> thermistors in common world) that givee 10e-3 precission, and you are just
> making linux not suitable to control that hardware. Think open.
> What is the real difference between managing temperatures with a short
> or a long ?. Is it really needed to fit it in a short ??!!!
> I would use an unsigned long with fixed point and all done.

        No, we are not talking lab instrumentation here. We are talking
about CPU monitoring. Lab instrumentation is a whole different issue
with things like the IEEE bus and such. Lab instrumentation would require
it's own drivers and interface.

> --
> J.A. Magallon # Let the source be with you...
> mailto:jamagallon@able.es
> Linux Mandrake release 8.1 (Cooker) for i586
> Linux werewolf 2.4.5-ac9 #1 SMP Wed Jun 6 09:57:46 CEST 2001 i686

        Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/