RE: temperature standard - global config option?

From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 16:33:44 EST

> From: L. K. [mailto:lk@Aniela.EU.ORG]
> I really do not belive that for a CPU or a motherboard +- 1
> degree would make any difference.

You haven't pushed your system, or run it in a hostile
environment then. There are many places where systems are run
right up to the edge of thermal breakdown, and it's a firm
requirement to know exactly what that edge is.

> If a CPU runs fine at, say, 37 degrees C, I do not belive it
> will have any problems running at 38 or 36 degrees. I support
> the ideea of having very good sensors for temperature
> monitoring, but CPU and motherboard temperature do not depend
> on the rise of the temperature of 1 degree, but when the
> temperature rises 10 or more degrees. I hope you understand
> what I want to say.

I have a CPU that runs great up to 43C, and shuts down hard at 44C
so I obviously want to know how close I am to that. I don't want
rounding errors to get in the way, and I don't want changes
between kernel revs to affect it either.

If we've got the bitspace, keep the counters as granular as
possible within the useable range that we're designing for.

counter = .01 * degrees kelvin