Re: temperature standard - global config option?

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 16:38:31 EST

L. K. writes:
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>> The bits are free; the API is hard to change.
>> Sensors might get better, at least on high-end systems.
>> Rounding gives a constant 0.15 degree error.
>> Only the truly stupid would assume accuracy from decimal places.
>> Again, the bits are free; the API is hard to change.
>>
>> One might provide other numbers to specify accuracy and precision.
>
> I really do not belive that for a CPU or a motherboard +- 1 degree would
> make any difference.
>
> If a CPU runs fine at, say, 37 degrees C, I do not belive it will have any
> problems running at 38 or 36 degrees. I support the ideea of having very
> good sensors for temperature monitoring, but CPU and motherboard
> temperature do not depend on the rise of the temperature of 1 degree, but
> when the temperature rises 10 or more degrees. I hope you understand what
> I want to say.

Of course I understand. Motorola offers 4-degree resolution,
with a random offset of up to 12 degrees. (calibration is possible)
You seem to need another reminder that THE BITS ARE FREE.

Why would you even consider trying to squeeze out a few bits?
You can't be absolutely sure that they will never be useful.