[patch] sys_modify_ldt extension (default_ldt)

From: Joerg Ahrens (joerg@hydrops.han.de)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 18:47:22 EST

Hi,

I am trying to integrate binfmt_xout.c into kernel 2.4 as part of the
linux-abi project (formerly known as iBCS). For old Xenix 286 binaries the
lcall7 gate needs to part of the LDT.

In kernels 2.0 sys_modify_ldt(0,...) used to return the default_ldt (with
lcall7 gate) if there were no segments set up. This behaviour changed in
kernels 2.2 . As a result of a discussion with Linus, David Bruce wrote a
patch for binfmt_xout.c tweaking with gdt and current->tss.ldt to get the
address of default_ldt. This patch does not work any more with kernels 2.4
as tss vanished from task_struct.

I do see 4 ways to cope with this problem:

a) extend sys_modify_ldt with a function to retrieve the default_ldt. I did
   this for testing (see attached diff for arch/i386/kernel/ldt.c ).

b) do some work an Davids patch but this is kind of magic for me :-)
   (see attached default_ldt patch)

c) loose the option to compile binfmt_xout (and the rest of linux-abi) as
   module and simply use the symbol default_ldt. I dint't try that.

d) Forget about those old fashioned 286 binaries. This option will make some
   linux users feel sad, as they run these progs for their daily business.

Joerg

Joerg Ahrens                                              _/
Koenigsberger Strasse 32                                _/_/
31226 Peine                                           _/  _/
Tel.: 05171/57308                             _/    _/_/_/_/
e-mail: joerg@hydrops.han.de                _/_/_/_/      _/