Re: 3C905b partial lockup in 2.4.5-pre5 and up to 2.4.6-pre1

From: Ben LaHaise (
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 11:06:08 EST

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Russell King wrote:

> Is this a change of requirements for ethernet drivers? Many other drivers
> do exactly the same (drop the first few packets while they're negotiating
> with a hub), unless they're using 10base2, even back to the days of 2.0
> kernels.

I doubt it's a change, more likely an undocumented requirement. Look at
it another way: is the transmitter ready when the link is down? No.
Why? Because if it does attempt to transmit a packet, it will get a
transmit error, but it can't possibly be an error since it's a normal part
of bringing the link up. Does this sound reasonable?

the body of a message to
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at