Re: Download process for a "split kernel" (was: obsolete code must die)

From: David Luyer (david_luyer@pacific.net.au)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 07:14:35 EST

  (I wrote)
> > This might actually make sense - a kernel composed of multiple versioned
> > segments. A tool which works out dependencies of the options being selected,
> > downloads the required parts if the latest versions of those parts are not
> > already downloaded, and then builds the kernel (or could even build during
> > the download, as soon as the build dependencies for each block of the kernel
> > are satisfied, if you want to be fancy...).
>
> Please do look at the archives to find out just why this idea is floated
> each 3 to 4 months and then shot down, and why.

Well, I'm actually looking at the 2nd idea I mentioned in my e-mail -- a very
small "kernel package" which has a config script, a list of config options and
the files they depend on and an appropriately tagged CVS tree which can then be
used for a compressed checkout of a version to do a build. (Or maybe something
more bandwidth-friendly than CVS for the initial checkout.)

Maybe I'll find the spare time to do it, maybe I won't, either way I won't post
any more on the subject until I have something tangible (so far I've just
done the 'easy bit': written a quick shell script which imported 2.4.x into a
tagged CVS tree; the 'hard bit', to write a script to analyse each kernel rev
and determine which files are used by which config options and mix that in
together with the minimal install for a 'make menuconfig' will take somewhat
longer).

David.

--
David Luyer                                        Phone:   +61 3 9674 7525
Engineering Projects Manager   P A C I F I C       Fax:     +61 3 9699 8693