Re: EXT2FS problems & 2.2.19 & 3ware RAID

From: Luigi Genoni (kernel@Expansa.sns.it)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 08:00:25 EST

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Udo Wolter wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm hosting a server with 120 GB disk space. This disk space consists of
> a RAID10 via a 3ware Escalade 6800 controller. As you can see, the disks are
> IDE disks (4 x 60 GB) but the controller maps it as scsi-devices to
> the system. It runs fine but from time to time I get those errors:
>
> kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device sd(8,6)): ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 885312
> kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device sd(8,6)): ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 885258

when i saw something similar, with a configuration really similar to your,
but on scsi disks, it was because a disc was near to break.
I had to change the disk and everything went ok.

It also happened to me after a crash on a disk due to eathing
problems, last august. Same messages,
and thanx God the disk was not really damnaged, so low level formatted
the disk, rebuilt partition table, then I rebuilt the fs to restore my
backup and everything went ok.
So my suggestion is to loock for HW problems.

> etc.
>
> The messages are coming almost once a week. As long as those messages are not
> harming the filesystem, I had no problems with them (in fact, they say, they
> are warnings and no errors). But the last times I tried to do a du over the
> full partition, I got 2 or 3 files and directories which say that that they
> can't be accessed -> I/O-Error. Neither I can't delete them nor I can
> access them in any way, not even list.
>
> After using debugfs (read only mode during the mount) I can see the files
> in the listing but even here they are not accessible.
>
> I shut the machine down for 2 hours to do a fsck and the errors had been
> gone but after some days the errors came back (different files and directories,
> not the same). At this time it's not possible to shut it down because
> more than 5000 users use it at the moment. Anyway before doing a fsck again
> I'd like to solve the problem so that the system couldn't get corrupted again.

exactly, that what I saw myself on the soon to get broken disk.

bests

Luigi Genoni