Reg file system hash function

From: SATHISH.J (sathish.j@tatainfotech.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 05:22:52 EST

Hi,

In the vfs layer when we see the lookup_dentry() function code we see that
a part of the code checks whether low level filesystem wants to use its
own hash. the part odf the code that calls the filesystem dependant
hashing is "error = base->d_op->d_hash->(base,&this);". Why should it
callfilesystem dependant hashing. What is the main purpose of hashing
here.
Please help me with these details.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,