Re: Newbie idiotic questions.

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 15:08:23 EST

On Sunday 17 June 2001 21:18, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> [...]
GFP_KERNEL))

GFP_KERNEL))

> > > The only other thing left to ask, is which is easier to read when
> > > glancing through the code, and which is easier to read when maintaining
> > > the code. imho, ist the former for reading the code, i dont know about
> > > maintaing the code since i dont do that, however in my own projects i
> > > prefere the former when maintaing the code.
> >
> > It's the preference of the maintainer. It's a tossup: using the type
> > in the kmalloc makes the type being allocated obvious. But using
> > sizeof(*var) is a tiny bit more resistant to change.
> >
> > Neither one sufficiently affects long term maintenance AFAICS, so it's
> > personal preference, not any sort of kernel standard one way or the
> > other...
>
> The first one can be made a bit safer against changes by creating a `knew'
>
> macro that behaves like `new' in C++:
> | #define knew(type, flags) (type *)kmalloc(sizeof(type), (flags))
>
> If the types in the assignment don't match, gcc will tell you.

Well, since we are still beating this one to death, I'd written a "knew"
macro as well, and put it aside. It does the assignment for you too:

   #define knew(p) ((p) = (typeof(p)) kmalloc(sizeof(*(p)), GFP_KERNEL))

Example:

         struct foo { int a; int b; };
        struct { struct foo *foo; } *foobar;

        if (knew(foobar))
                if (knew(foobar->foo))
                        printk("foo: %p\n", foobar->foo);

Terse and clear at the same time, and type safe. I still don't like it much.

--
Daniel