Re: Linux 2.2.20-pre4

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 16:48:09 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
> > [..]
> > > o Fix refclock build with newer gcc (Jari Ruusu)
> >
> > Is it mean now kernel 2.2 with prepatch is (or will be) gcc 3.0 ready ?
> > If not what must be fixed/chenged to be ready ?
>
> It wont build with gcc 3.0 yet. To start with gcc 3.0 will assume it can
> insert calls to 'memcpy'

IMHO omitting -fno-builtin when compiling the kernel was always a risky
proposition... Since we provide our own copies of many of the builtins
[which are used in the kernel] anyway... why not always -fno-builtin,
and then call __builtin_foo when we really want the compiler's version..

gcc 3.0 without -fno-builtin is perfectly allowed to assume it can
insert calls to memcpy..

--
Jeff Garzik      | Andre the Giant has a posse.
Building 1024    |