Re: The latest Microsoft FUD. This time from BillG, himself.

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 09:01:52 EST

> > Do they include the source? There's a CD of source that you can buy
> > for $20 but gcc isn't listed
>
> I'm not sure if they are allowed to do that. See clause 1 (c):
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdn-files/027/001/516/eula_mit.htm

Slight oops on their part, but then that license is fairly new. I don't
think it is aimed at the Linux world though. Microsoft are trying to prevent
something else - and its all about lock in again.

If they prohibit people from linking free software with their own libraries
it allows them to prevent cost effective applications becoming available on
their platform so they can continue to inflate their prices. In paticular
I suspect this is aimed much more at things like OpenOffice, MySql on Windows,
Mozilla and friends.

Of course in two years time no doubt "in the customers interest" it will be
Microsoft approved developers only , and a while after that nobody else will
be allowed to make apps for their product.

Alan