[bug] OOPS/stunted boot, aic7xxx, 2.4.x

From: David Ford (david@blue-labs.org)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 12:33:40 EST

'lo

I have a client machine that I can't get 2.4 to boot on. It is an SMP
motherboard with one CPU , dual port aic7896/97 ultra2 onboard.

I'm slowing going backwards from 2.4.6-pre5 and am currently compiling
2.4.3. With the later kernels, the machine simply hangs, flat out does
nothing instead of initializing the aic driver. With the earlier
kernels I get the below messages. BTW, why the heck is the linux kernel
relying on Berkely DB? I find it rather bothersome that I have to go
fetch and compile a userland library just to compile the aic driver.

More details to follow I'm sure.

David

--------

scsi:0:0:0:0 Attempting to queue an ABORT message
..Command already completed
aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
..Attempting to queue an ABORT message
..Device is active, asserting aTN
Recovery code sleeping
Recovery code awake
..Timer expired
..returns 8195
..attepting to queue a TARET RESET message
..returns 8195
..recovery SCB completes
..attempting to queue an abort
ahc_intr : HOST_MSG_LOOP bad phase 0x0
..command aborted from QINFIFO
..returns 8194
scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0

(partially repeats for each id, 1-15, on both ports)