[OT]Re: One more ZDNet article with BillG hammering Linux and Open Source.

From: Gerhard Mack (gmack@innerfire.net)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 22:45:14 EST

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Ben Ford wrote:

> Miles Lane wrote:
>
> >http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2777283,00.html
> >
> [ . . . ]
>

> >BillG -- We keep making it easier and easier, and anything people want source
> >code for, we'll figure out a way to get it to them. It's kind of a strange
> >thing in a way because most commercial customers don't want to recompile
> >kernels or things like that. But they want to be able to know that things can
> >be supported.
> >
> >We have some very cool tools now where we don't have to ship you the source.
> >You can debug online, through the Internet. So it means you don't have to get
> >a bunch of CDs. If you really want it for debugging and patching things, we
> >can do that through the Internet. That's a real breakthrough in terms of
> >simple source access. I don't know that anyone has ever asked for the source
> >code for Word. If they did, we would give it to them. But it's not a typical
> >request.
> >-
> >

> Hey, Bill, here's my address, can you ship me the full source to Word?

Funny but by giving it to you they could really screw you when it comes to
opensource work. If you think the GPL is viral you havn't seen "shared
source".. at least the GPL only applies to derived works.

        Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack

gmack@innerfire.net

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.