Re: Some experience of linux on a Laptop

From: Jeff Chua (jeffchua@silk.corp.fedex.com)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 17:26:40 EST

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, John Nilsson wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Portégé 3010CT laptop. That is:
> 266MHz Pentium-MMX
> 4GB HD with 512kb cache (which linux reduces to 0kb)
> 32 Mb EDO RAM

tons of info out there.

http://www.tce.co.jp/linux/
http://www.buzzard.org.uk/toshiba/
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
http://support.toshiba-tro.de/internet/info/linux/linleft.htm

I've a 3010CT too, and everything is working fine including X and the LAN
under linux.

> 8: A way to change kernel without rebooting. I have no diskdrive or cddrive
> in my laptop so I often do drastic things when I install a new distribution.

Look at loadlin + initrd. You'll have to reboot, but at least you don't
need a floppy and no CD. Store your test and stable kernels on dos C
drive, and boot up which ever one you like. I use a ramdisk to test my
kernels so that it does not affect my stable linux on my hard disk.

I do 80% of my stuffs on Linux including accessing mainframe from linux.

Jeff