Re: Some experience of linux on a Laptop

From: Luigi Genoni (kernel@Expansa.sns.it)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 18:14:07 EST

John Nilson wrote:

> 2: Compile time optimization options in Make menuconfig
???? I do not understand the point.

> 3: Lilo/grub config in make menuconfig
Unusefull and dangerous.

> 4: make bzImage && make modules && make modules install && cp
> arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/'uname -r' something inside make menuconfig
To compile a kernel someone should be able to run correctly make. Don't
you think so? Also my girlfriend, who never saw a Unix system before,
after a couple days spended reading during free time some documentation
and help files (4 hours in two days I think) has been able to compile and
install a new kernel.

> 6: Wouldn't it be easier for svgalib/framebuffer/GGI/X11 and others if the
> graphiccard drivers where kernel modules?
This is an old discussion. I hope it will never be. (just my own 2 cents).

> 8: A way to change kernel without rebooting. I have no diskdrive or cddrive
> in my laptop so I often do drastic things when I install a new distribution.
Is it possible at all??

Luigi