Re: The Joy of Forking

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 12:22:36 EST

Rick Hohensee <humbubba@smarty.smart.net> said:
> 2.4.5 is 26 meg now. It's time to consider forking the kernel. Alan has
> already stuck his tippy-toe is that pool, and his toe is fine.

Stop that nonsense. Alan Cox has _not_ forked anything, neither has Dave
Miller, or any of the arch maintainers. Alan has said several times that he
will sync up with Linus, and he still stages patches upwards. Alan doesn't
like the "all shall be devfs" ukase (and neither do I, BTW), and will
maintain non-devfs systems for the time being.

I do see the merit of some kind of devfs, but there still is a lot of stuff
that needs a more reasonable solution, so no thanks for now.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616