Re: parport_pc tries to load parport_serial automatically

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 04:23:03 EST

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 03:17:32AM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> If the initialization of parport_serial fails, we obviously get an
> error message, which is really annoying:

[This is different to the issue that is fixed in the -ac tree about
parport_serial getting probed for even when disabled in config.]

The idea was that people who have multi-IO cards but don't know what
modules are can have things Just Work: parport_serial gets loaded
automagically and detects their cards for them. But yes, the flip
side is that people who _don't_ have multi-IO cards are going to get
that error.

There are three ways out, I think:

- change parport_pc so that it doesn't request parport_serial at
  init. In this case, how will parport_serial get loaded at all?
  Perhaps with some recommended /etc/modules.conf lines (perhaps
  parport_lowlevel{1,2,3,...})?

- people who get the error and don't like it can put 'alias
  parport_serial off' in /etc/modules.conf. Not especially pleasant,
  I guess.

- parport_serial could be made to initialise successfully even if it
  doesn't see any devices that it can drive.

What do people think?

Tim.
*/