Re: mounting a fs in two places at once?

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 09:22:17 EST

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:20:16AM -0700, Ben Ford wrote:
>
> > Feature. It actually makes it quite nice when you want to allow
> > chrooted user(s) access to a common directory, you just mount a
> > partition in all the users home dirs.
>
> For security, this can be a bad idea.
>
> Potentially, chrooted user can mess with another, by messing with
> libraries and such like. In most cases not terribly easy, but in some
> cases possible.

If chrooted user had gained root - he can do much more damage than that.
If your libraries are world-writable - you had asked for that, hadn't
you?

> No, if the fs was mounted RO, then I assume you would have less to
> worry about. Its a pity the VFS code doesn't allow you to fix RO & RW
> of the same fs.

<shrug> 2.5 stuff. Requires extra argument on getattr/setattr/permission -
prototype change on 3 methods for something that is a feature and not a
fix for any specific bug...

If you want root-proof analog of chroot - fine, but that will require
at least taking away the ability to mount/umount anything. Otherwise
attacker will simply be able to remount everything he want r/w once he
had gained root. That can be done (e.g. by adding "can modify" flag
to namespace and doing something along the lines

        pid = clone(CLONE_NAMESPACE, NULL);
        if (!pid) {
                /* do all needed mount/umount work */
                pid = clone(CLONE_FREEZE_NAMESPACE, NULL);
                if (!pid) {
                        /* we are set */
                }
                exit(0);
        }

which would give grandchild a namespace we want it to see and prohibit
any changes in said namespace, root or not)