Re: Patch(2.4.5): Fix PCMCIA ATA/IDE freeze (w/ PCI add-in cards)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@aslab.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 16:55:05 EST

Gunther,

It fixes a BUG in CFA, but what will it do to the other stuff?
Parse it exclusive to CFA and there is not an issue.

Also look closely....

No all ./arch have a control register doing this randomly without know the
rest of the driver will kill more than it fixes.

static int try_to_identify (ide_drive_t *drive, byte cmd)
{
        int rc;
        ide_ioreg_t hd_status;
        unsigned long timeout;
        unsigned long irqs = 0;
        byte s, a;

        if (IDE_CONTROL_REG) {
<snip>
        } else {
                ide_delay_50ms();
                hd_status = IDE_STATUS_REG;
        }
<snip>
}

It will not be accepted until it correctly address and handles all HOSTs
correctly, period.

Andre Hedrick
ASL Kernel Development
Linux ATA Development