Re: Cosmetic JFFS patch.

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 12:18:24 EST

torvalds@transmeta.com said:
> Things like version strings etc sound useful, but the fact is that the
> only _real_ problem it has ever solved for anybody is when somebody
> thinks they install a new kernel, and forgets to run "lilo" or
> something.

I can give counter-examples of times when it's been extremely useful to
know exactly what version the user is running, and the info messages
included in their first bug report have told me exactly what I needed to
know.

> But even that information you really get from a simple "uname -a".

Only for code which is always distributed as part of the kernel, and where
there are never any more up to date versions in the maintainer's tree, even
temporarily.

Also consider the question "What was the last thing you see on screen
before it reboots?"

--
dwmw2