Re: Linux and system area networks

From: Bogdan Costescu (bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 12:28:20 EST

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:

> Providing a wrapper library for use with Infiniband and the current
> SAN boards like WSD would probably be a useful exercise, but to really get
> good performance (especially latency-wise) you probably want to use
> something like MPI. For many applications a wrapper will be enough, though.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reference to MPI here. MPI is a
high-level API; MPI can run on top of whatever communication features
exists: TCP/IP, shared memory, VI, etc.
MPI (as well as other "standards" for parallel programming - PVM, OpenMP)
came from the need to have a common interface, not to have all parallel
programs include specific code to deal with TCP/IP, shared memory, VI,
etc. whenever they were available. Instead, MPI serves as a middle-man
between them and the parallel programs. So, MPI cannot be faster than the
underlying communication features.

Sincerely,

Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De