Re: Cosmetic JFFS patch.

From: Troy Benjegerdes (hozer@drgw.net)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 12:47:38 EST

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 09:39:15AM +0100, Laramie Leavitt wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 01:50:28PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > How about we drop the "printk" altogether, and make it all a comment?
> >
> > Can we please also drop annoying static informational printk's?
> >
> > > Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
> > > Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
> >
> > The later line is not something of interest to most people, and if it
> > happens to be they can research it rather than being force-fed history
> > on bootup.
> >
> > > POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
> >
> > Ditto.
> >
> > > usb-uhci.c: v1.251 Georg Acher, Deti Fliegl, Thomas Sailer,
> > Roman Weissgaerber
> > > usb-uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
> >
> > How about "usb-uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface
> > driver v1.251"
> > instead?
> >
> > dmesg buffer space is rather limited and IMHO there isn't space to
> > waste on credit-giving in boot logs.
>
> Here here. You don't see annoying log-eating copyright messages
> printed out in the Windows boot. Just imagine:

Whoaa, back the truck up you just threw all those log messages in.

One of the reasons I absolutely HATED windoze was that it didn't tell you
ANYTHING about what it was doing when booting. If it died during bootup
you had no idea what driver was loading.

Yes, *some* of the boot messageses are excessive, but I don't know how
many times I've been able to diagnose a hardware problem or been helped by
verbose boot messages on some strange hardware I was trying to bring up,
and the 'what was the last message printed out' has been invaluable.

--
Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer@drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----