Re: RFC: Changes for PCI

From: Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 00:22:01 EST

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 02:07:37PM -0500, Tom Gall wrote:
> Consider also in drivers/pci/pci.c:
>
> The function pci_bus_exists checks based on bus numbers. This function is
> of course used by pci_alloc_primary_bus, which is in turn used by
> pci_scan_bus. As is today, this code can break me the second I'm
> onto my second PCI system domain.

You'll find that the existing ports that support multiple pci
domains do not number the busses on the secondary domains from
zero. If domain 0 has 3 busses, then domain 1's root bus will
be bus number 3, and so on.

This approach works quite well in practice, even on machines
with large numbers of pci domains, since there tends to be no
pci-pci busses on domains other than the one containing legacy
i/o widgetry.

r~