USB Keyboard errors with 2.4.5-ac

From: Jordan Breeding (jordan.breeding@inet.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 12:27:34 EST

I encountered a rather weird problem last night. I was testing out a
USB Type 6 Unix layout keyboard from Sun Microsystems and a USB Crossbow
model mouse from Sun as well. I like the Sun keyboard and mice and am
used to the layout from using it so often at work. I originally thought
that it would be no big deal since they both work perfectly in Windows
(tested while at work on my Windows 2000 box). When I got them home and
tried them out I noticed one thing immediately that I could easily get
the mouse to work with GPM and also I could unplug it and plug it back
in with no problem as all. The keyboard was a different story, if I
plug the keyboard in during operation everything freaks out and I have
to reboot the machine to get it to work properly. I also noticed that X
would not work properly if I had either the USB keyboard and a PS/2
keyboard plugged in or if I had the USB keyboard plugged in alone. No
matter what I tried I could not get X to work, but while trying I
noticed my real problem with the keyboard. The kernel apparently
expects a PS/2 (AT) keyboard to be plugged in because if there isn't one
the kernel reports timeouts and seems slower than when there is a PS/2
keyboard present, my guess is because it is waiting on all of those
timeouts. The next major keyboard thing I noticed is that I can type on
certain keys but if I do anything like hit the caps lock key or number
lock a couple of times then the keyboard stops responding completely and
the kernel tells me that there was an error waiting on a IRQ on CPU #1.
So I guess my questions are the following, is it totally hopeless to
want to try and get a USB keyboard to work as the systems only keyboard
and have it work under X and also not freeze the whole system when
hitting certain keys? Do I just need to give up for now and get one of
those USB->PS/2 converters and use my normal keyboard port, if so will
Linux ever be able to not depend on PS/2 hardware for keyboards on
ix86? I am not looking for anything fancy here, I mean all the extra
keys on it like front, stop etc. would be nice to use eventually but if
they do absolutely nothing that is fine with me, I just want to be able
to use this keyboard. Below are the pertinent .config sections, this is
on a Tyan Tiger 230 which uses a Via chipset. The mouse is still
working right now and X works if I have a PS/2 keyboard only plugged in
and just use the mouse.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jordan Breeding

#
# Processor type and features
#
# CONFIG_M386 is not set
# CONFIG_M486 is not set
# CONFIG_M586 is not set
# CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
# CONFIG_M586MMX is not set
# CONFIG_M686 is not set
CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y
# CONFIG_MPENTIUM4 is not set
# CONFIG_MK6 is not set
# CONFIG_MK7 is not set
# CONFIG_MCRUSOE is not set
# CONFIG_MWINCHIPC6 is not set
# CONFIG_MWINCHIP2 is not set
# CONFIG_MWINCHIP3D is not set
# CONFIG_MCYRIXIII is not set
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
# CONFIG_RWSEM_GENERIC_SPINLOCK is not set
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y