RE: The latest Microsoft FUD. This time from BillG, himself.

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 21:50:36 EST

Lew Wolfgang wrote:

> It is something that I read somewhere. If memory serves, Microsoft
> will allow two installs on the same CD-key. Note that this is
> different from the old MS key manager, all you had to do there
> was enter the CD-key. There were no real-time checks on how
> many times it was installed.

        You mean they will allow to overlapping installs. That is, you have
permission to run the software on two machines. This says nothing about
their enforcement scheme.

> This http://two.digital.cnet.com/cgi-bin2/flo?y=eBwm0Hm1h0U0c7G0A4
> says, "In the case of Office XP, people can install the software on two
> computers, such as a desktop PC and a laptop. But the second
> installation requires a phone call to obtain the 44-key unlock code."

        So the first time you install it, you can do it the easy way. After that,
you need to call them to get the code. For all we know, it's as simple as,
"I'm the purchaser and I'd like to install it again".

> The question remains, "How many times will Microsoft let you install?"
> I'll test the process starting on Monday. I have an Office XP that
> has been installed once. I'll try it again without giving my name
> and keep trying until I reach the limit. I'll say that I'm having
> problems with my disk crashing or something. I'll report my findings
> here.

        That's precisely the question, and we have no answer. It is becoming more
and more obvious to me that statements such as "If the CD key is used again
they just refuse to send the final key" are sheer speculation mixed with a
small dose of FUD.

        More likely, Microsoft will display escalating suspicion with each install,
especially if they are in close time proximity or widely varying physical
locations (or other suspicious patterns). If they find out that a key is
definitely being abused, they will stop issuing unlock codes for it. In
other words, they will cause great inconvenience for pirates and little
inconvenience for legitimate users.

        DS