Re: linux-2.4.6-pre6: numerous dep_{bool,tristate} $CONFIG_ARCH_xxx bugs

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 09:57:10 EST

I am following up my own message here.

>>> = Adam Richter
>> = Alan Cox
> = Adam Richter

>>> Argh! I just accidentally sent and older version of my
>>> patch. Here is the current version. Sorry about that.

>>This just breaks stuff

>>> +for var in $(cat arch/*/config.in |
>>> + egrep -w -v '^[ ]*int' |
>>> + tr ' $"' '\n\n\n' |
>>> + egrep '^CONFIG_[A-Z0-9_]*$' |
>>> + sort -u) ; do
>>> + define_bool "$var" "n"
>>> +done
>>> +set -f
>>>

>>You've changed the entire semantics of dep_tristate by doing this

> Please provide a real example.

        Although I am curious about what you had in mind about
dep_tristate, I no longer need to see this example to see a problem
with my patch. My patch breaks detection of "new" variables in
arch/*/config.in by "make oldconfig."

        So, I guess something like Keith Owens's patch would be the
way to go, with some additional definitions (CONFIG_AGP, CONFIG_PCI,
CONFIG_ISA, CONFIG_EISA, CONFIG_PCMCIA, and possibly others). I am
not sure which other conditionals might also be incorrectly ignored by
some instances of dep_xxx. Below, I have included a list of the 52
CONFIG_* variables that are used as arguments to dep_xxx in 2.4.6-pre6
and appear in arch/*/config.in.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

CONFIG_ACPI
CONFIG_AGP
CONFIG_AMIGA
CONFIG_ARCH_ACORN