Re: RFC: modules and 2.5

From: Sean Hunter (sean@dev.sportingbet.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 01:50:50 EST

Does this defeat my favourite module-related gothcha, that the machine panics
if I have (say) a scsi driver builtin to the kernel and the same driver tries
to load itself as a module?

This normally happens when switching to a custom kernel after a fresh distro
install. RedHat (and others, I think) use an initial ramdisk to make sure that
all the modules needed to mount the root fs get loaded at boot time.

If you build the drivers in, but forget to comment out the initrd line in
/etc/lilo.conf, the machine panics because it tries to load the module for
something that is already a builtin.

Make sense?

Sean