Re: [RFC] I/O Access Abstractions

From: David Howells (dhowells@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 04:00:36 EST

> I also point out that using ioremap for PIO adds flexibility while
> keeping most drivers relatively unchanged. Everyone uses a base address
> anyway, so whether its obtained directly (address from PCI BAR) or
> indirectly (via ioremap), you already store it and use it.

I see what you're getting at at last:-) I didn't quite pick up on the fact
that you'd still have to go through readb/writeb and their ilk to access the
code.

Of course, however, this still requires cookie decoding to be done in readb
and writeb (even on the i386). So why not use resource struct?

David