ESCD Support for 2.4.6-ac1/PNPBIOS (was: reading/writing CMOS beyond 256 bytes?)

From: Gunther Mayer (Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 13:28:19 EST

Hi,
with a litte patch to linux-2.4.6ac1 (which includes PNPBIOS)
the ESCD data is easily accessible.

Then "lsescd" will verbosely decode /proc/bus/pnp/escd.

This lets you access important info which would be beneficial for correctly
configuring PnP in Linux (e.g. when you set an IRQ to "reserved for legacy ISA"
in your BIOS setup or you can see what's the difference between selecting
"_PNP OS_" to yes/no in your BIOS setup screen).

Regards, Gunther

P.S. There is an additional potential benefit for ISAPNP: you can
get the PNP Port configured by your BIOS. Previously all cards had
to be reset to use a new port. Linux suffers serverly from not
doing PnP failsafe, burdening configuration tasks onto the user.

cat /proc/bus/pnp/pnpconfig_info
Revision=1 No_Csn=1 ISAPNP_Port=0x20b
                                  ^^^

Download from: