Re: Athlon Thunderbird, Abit KT7 Raid, Kernel 2.4: DESKTOP FROZEN!

From: David Grant (davidgrant79@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:47:53 EST

I've had almost identical problems using Redhat 7.1 (2.4.2-2 kernel) on
Athlon 1.2 GHz Asus A7V133 with the VIA on-board IDE (686b).

Try switching to the other on-board IDE controller, should be HTP370 IDE.
It's probably the VIA southbridge that's causing you these troubles. I
upgraded my kernel to 2.4.5 and 2.4.6 and nothing helped for me (I have a
686b, you have a 686a). The only thing I could do was switch to my on-board
Promise IDE controller. I have no idea what the HTP370 is, but I'm guessing
it won't cause you problems like the VIA will.

You could try compiling a new kernel 2.4.5 or 2.4.6. There were many IDE
fixes between 2.4.2 and 2.4.6. Especially with the VIA stuff I think,
thanks to Vojtech Pavlick. However, I never got my VIA controller to work.
Even if I disabled all DMA it still crashed the kernel every time.

David Grant