kernel lockup in 2.4.5-ac3 and 2.4.6-pre7 (netfilter ?)

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings@folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 04:02:57 EST

hello everyone !

i have had reproducible lockups in 2.4.5-ac3.
the box is a cyrix@120 mhz with a via apollo chipset and two
ethercards.
it's used as a masquerading firewall/dsl router.

now when i have an ftp session from a machine on the private network
to the internet and it gets stuck or i ctrl-c out of it, this causes
the box to lock up hard. i was able to reproduce this a few times.
no syslog entries survive. alt-sysrq-sync seems to work, but
-killall and -umount don't, so after alt-sysrq-boot i have to go
through 20gigs of fsck.

i have upgraded to 2.4.7-pre6, and the problem has reappeared, this
time when closing a stuck ssh connection. same sysrq behaviour, no
logs.

when not forwarding ftp or ssh sessions, the box has had uptimes of
more than a week, so i think the problem may be netfilter related.
see below for my netfilter setting. (the same setting has run w/o
problems in earlier 2.4 kernels.)

i'd welcome hints to nail down the problem. if you want me to run
further tests or need more info, let me know.

yours,

jörn

ps: if possible, cc: me on followups, because i only read lkml
through the archive.

----

#iptables -L -v Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination 67171 27M block all -- any any anywhere anywhere Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination 285 16924 TCPMSS tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS clamp to PMTU 6690 3628K block all -- any any anywhere anywhere Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 67143 packets, 47732223 bytes) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination Chain block (2 references) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination 71441 30M ACCEPT all -- any any anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 1848 152K ACCEPT all -- !ppp0 any anywhere anywhere state NEW 0 0 ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh 0 0 ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:http 38 1792 ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp dpts:1024:65535 534 31915 DROP all -- any any anywhere anywhere

-- Jörn Nettingsmeier home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany phone://+49.201.491621 http://icem-www.folkwang-hochschule.de/~nettings/ http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/ - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/