Re: 2.4.6 possible problem

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 14:42:33 EST

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.1010717103652.1430A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>,
> > Richard B. Johnson <root@chaos.analogic.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > ticks = 1 * HZ; /* For 1 second */
> > > while((ticks = interruptible_sleep_on_timeout(&wqhead, ticks)) > 0)
> > > ;
> >
> > Don't do this.
> >
> > Imagine what happens if a signal comes in and wakes you up? The signal
> > will continue to be pending, which will make your "sleep loop" be a busy
> > loop as you can never go to sleep interruptibly with a pending signal.
> >
> > In short: if you have to wait for a certain time or for a certain event,
> > you MUST NOT USE a interruptible sleep.
> >
> > If it is ok to return early due to signals or similar (which is nice -
> > you can allow people to kill the process), then you use an interruptible
> > sleep, but then you mustn't have the above kind of loop.
> >
> > Linus
>
> Okay, then ../linux/drivers/net/8139too.c (line 2239) should be fixed
> because that's where it came from.

I hate to answer my own questions, but the above may be correct if
the task doesn't stay in interruptible_sleep_on_timeout() if there
is a signal pending. If true, it will not loop forever because of
the test for signal_pending(current).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

    was handled in the BIOS, I found that there aren't any.