Re: Kernel Documentation

From: Crutcher Dunnavant (crutcher@datastacks.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 16:18:43 EST

++ 17/07/01 14:02 -0700 - Charles Samuels:
> On 2001-07-17 20:46:24, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ignacio@openservices.net>
> wrote:
>
> > This is probably a silly question, but why doesn't your site just use
> > DocBook?
>
> DocBook is more "bookish" complete with chapters and all. I've used it
> before, it's nice, but not for this, in my opinion. Also, the backend just
> moves the XML data into a temporary MySQL database for easy searching, and
> sorting, and something like that, I think, would be much more difficult with
> docbook.

2 things:

1: there is a project in the kernel to establish API references.
you should not duplicate this work, but should add to it.
Reason: There is no way you can get or stay ahead.

2: the secondary issue of documenting best practices in the
kernel is a different matter altogether. I, myself, have started
a project to do this. I'm sorta scared of letting people know
about it at this point, but I feel it is necessary.

the entry point is:
http://bama.ua.edu/~dunn001/journeyman/

I /am/ looking for help, but it is very early. I am NOT looking
for exposure, so dont even bother looking if you dont want to write
docs; there isnt anything there for you.

--
Crutcher        <crutcher@datastacks.com>