RE: serious cd writer kernel bug 2.4.x

From: James Stevenson (mistral@stev.org)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 19:42:31 EST

Hi

> I experience almost the exact same thing with my cd-rw.
> PlexWriter 8/4/32A, does the same thing, and if I compile the modules
> ide-scsi and scsi

> directly into the kernel, whenever I access the cd-rw at all (try to mount a
> valid filesystem) entire system locks and have to hard reboot.. I can access

i am not running modules but the ide-scsi stuff is compiled into the
kernel both drives are running under the scsi-emu.
can you also access the cd rom fine under linux.

the cd-rom works fine for me
as soon as i touch the writer it dies.

> boot). I am using stock Mandrake 8.0 with 2.4.6-ac2 kernel. I can run
> cdrecord --scanbus and it sees the cd-rw fine

i am also running mandrake 8.0 and cdrecord works up to that point
i have seen it crash under.

2.4.3
2.4.4
2.4.5
2.4.5-ac15
2.4.6
2.4.6-ac5

i have not tried earlery kernels for various other resons.

> hda - disk 1
> hdb - disk 2
> hdc - cd-rom
> hdd - cd-rw

almost like that but its
hda - disk 1
hdb - disk 2
hdc - cd writer
hdd - cd rom

Web: http://www.stev.org
Mobile: +44 07779080838
E-Mail: mistral@stev.org
 12:30am  up 35 min,  6 users,  load average: 1.90, 2.32, 2.30